Bangladeshi-Origin 22-Year-Old Man Shot and Injured by NYPD in Queens
A 22-year-old man of Bangladeshi origin was shot and injured by officers of the New York Police Department (NYPD) during a police response in the Briarwood neighborhood of Queens on Monday morning, January 26.
According to NYPD officials, the incident occurred at approximately 10:30 a.m. at a residence near Parsons Boulevard. Police were responding to a 911 call reporting that an individual was throwing glass objects at a wall inside the home.
Upon arrival, officers encountered the young man holding a large kitchen knife. Police stated that the individual advanced toward officers despite repeated verbal commands to drop the weapon. A family member at the scene attempted to intervene and calm him down but was unsuccessful.
NYPD Patrol Borough Queens South Commanding Officer Assistant Chief Christopher McIntosh said officers attempted to de-escalate the situation by closing a door between rooms to create distance and prevent further confrontation. However, the individual reportedly forced the door open and again moved toward officers while holding the knife. At that point, officers discharged their firearms.
The man sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to Jamaica Hospital. Police said his injuries are not life-threatening. Some officers involved in the incident also suffered minor injuries and are undergoing medical evaluation.
Officials confirmed that the entire incident was captured on police body-worn cameras. After the shooting, officers immediately called emergency medical services and provided first aid to the injured man, including the use of a tourniquet.
The NYPD has not disclosed how many shots were fired or whether the individual had a prior mental health history, citing an ongoing investigation. The case is being reviewed by the NYPD’s Force Investigation Division.
Meanwhile, New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani acknowledged the incident in a post on social media platform “X,” stating that he had been briefed on the situation. He said officers responded to a 911 call and encountered a man armed with a knife, and that authorities are continuing to assess the circumstances. The mayor also expressed gratitude to first responders for their efforts to maintain public safety and assured residents that more information would be shared as it becomes available.
