Khamenei Admits Thousands Killed in Iran Protests, Blames US and Israel
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has publicly acknowledged for the first time that thousands of people were killed during Iran’s recent violent protests, claiming that the unrest was driven by the United States and Israel. In a speech on Saturday, Khamenei said the demonstrations initially started as peaceful protests linked to economic hardship but later turned into violent clashes and attacks on the country’s political system. He said the deaths happened on a large scale, with some victims killed in what he described as a brutal and inhuman way, while significant property damage was also reported during the unrest.
Khamenei accused Washington and Tel Aviv of hijacking the protests and turning them into a major security crisis. He also criticized the US president, calling him responsible for the deaths, destruction, and what he described as slander against the Iranian nation. Iranian authorities say the situation has now largely returned to normal and that the protests, which officials referred to as “riots,” have been brought under control. State-linked media reported that communication restrictions were partially lifted and schools were expected to reopen on Sunday after being closed for one week, while postponed university exams were set to be held next week.
The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said it had verified more than 3,000 deaths and reported over 22,000 arrests linked to the protests. However, Reuters said it was unable to independently confirm the casualty figures or details due to limited access and disruptions in internet services. Iran’s prosecutor general previously warned that detainees could face severe punishments, and some officials described those arrested as “mohareb,” an Islamic legal term meaning waging war against God, which is punishable by death under Iranian law.
Internet access in Iran remained uncertain, with monitoring groups reporting that service briefly returned in parts of the country before being restricted again. Iranian state media reported that thousands of people accused of taking part in violence had been arrested, including individuals described as key organizers. Authorities also claimed some suspects were linked to opposition groups outside Iran, including supporters of exiled figure Reza Pahlavi. Israeli officials have publicly expressed support for Pahlavi, and one Israeli minister recently claimed Israel had operatives inside Iran, although he said they were not directly aiming to remove Iran’s leadership.
